Friday, April 16, 2004

Ball Jars

I like to drink out of Ball Jars. I don't know why. I just do. I am a Ball Jar purist. I don't like the ones that they sell with handles on them and are designed as drinking glasses. I like to drink out of the actually jar. M says that the rim on them is bothersome to his lips. You know, the swirl that the lid can screw round on to come on and off. I doesn't bother me...I just really like it. It's my comfort object...A Ball Jar full of water is a heavenly thing!!
I think that the first time I drank out of a Ball Jar was in a bar in Peterborough, NH. I'm not a drinker and have never been into the bar seen. But, for some reason I liked this place. I don't remember the name. I barely remember what it looked like on the inside. I don't remember what I drank in my Ball Jar drink. I do remember that I went there with Trey.
Trey was a high school buddy and we both ended up at the same college. I haven't talked to him in years. He was one of my first best friends. I told him my first real deep dark secret. And I loved him, not "attraction" love, but a real "dear to the heart" love. He was the first person in my life that really made me laugh and the first person that I didn't feel self conscious with.
The last time I talked to Trey (after having lost touch with him for 12 yrs. or so) I found out that he is one unhappy guy. It makes me melancholy. To be so incredible and not realize it. We soon lost touch again...he wasn't ready to have a friend.
I hope that life is better for him and that someday we'll cross paths again and be friends again.
I drink my water from my Ball Jar and it makes me feel better to know that I was really cherished. You just don't forget that kind of love. Maybe Trey drinks from his Ball Jar too.

No comments: